Dogs suffering from heatstroke urgently need to have their body temperature lowered.
Sandra Cosgrove, RVT, VTS, Emergency/Critical Care Technician lists the following steps:
- Move the animal to a shaded, cool area.
- Immediately douse the dog with cool water (not cold, to avoid shock). Wet towels and fans can also help.
- Allow the dog to drink small amounts of cool water
- Continue to cool the dog with water or wet towels until their breathing starts to settle.
- Once the dog is cool, take him immediately to the nearest vet.