Many common plants and household items can be lethal to our pets. The following chart demonstrates the toxicity levels of items often found in our homes and yards. Seek Emergency Veterinary Care if your pet has ingested any of the following. Because timing is so critical, having accurate identification of the suspected substance is very important. Have the container, package, and label in hand, as this can save valuable time in determining what your pet consumed and the approximate amount. This information could very well save your pet’s life.
If treating lawns or gardens with fertilizers, herbicides, or insecticides, make sure your pet avoids those areas until completely dry.
This bait is sweet and specifically designed to be attractive to animals. Dogs will tear open bags to get to it. Toxicity depends on the dose ingested.
All parts of the plant are toxic to cats.
These mushrooms tend to grow under Oak Trees and can be found throughout North America, including California.
The toxicity of ingested OTC medications depends on the specific medication and quantity ingested. The higher the dose, the more severe the toxicity.
Drugs like marijuana and methamphetamine are toxic for pets. The toxicity level depends on the substance and dose ingested. Marijuana causes significant clinical signs but has a low potential for organ damage or death. Methamphetamine is highly toxic.
Do not apply your dog’s flea medication on your cat even though it may seem like a good idea. Cats who have been in contact with canine flea medication need treatment but are likely to survive and resume a healthy life if decontaminated.
Ingested gopher bait, and other rodenticides, mix with stomach acid and produces phosphine gas. Phosphine was used during WWI as a poison gas for chemical warfare. It even places all treating staff at risk when the chemical is vomited.
Certain molds that grow on old food can trigger seizures in dogs. Dogs typically find the food by eating from a trash can or compost pile.
The Colorado River toad (Bufo alvarius/Incilius alvarius) is found in parts of California. The toxins produced on the toad’s back can be rapidly absorbed into the bloodstream after ingestion or mouthing of the toad. Toxicity is mild if the toad is only licked and more severe if the toad is chewed/ingested. Symptoms can range in severity from GI upset to cardiac arrhythmias and seizures, leading to death.
Aloe vera can cause vomiting, lethargy, and diarrhea.
Sago Palms, in both cats and dogs, can trigger vomiting, increased thirst, liver damage and or liver failure, and even death.
The artificial sweetener found in many sugar-free products including peanut butter, gum, candy, and children’s medications.